Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Interview with Paul Allender of Cradle of Filth.



Originally posted at Metal Spree

Hello Paul, warm greetings from India and Metal Spree team, how you're doing?
I'm very well thank you. I hope all is good for you there and everything is wonderful.


Starting off topic, you like Indian food ?
I love Indian food, its amazing :)


Can you name us a few that still wets your taste buds ? That will become your fan food in India.. ha ha !
Lol ok. I love Vindaloo and Masala, there very nice and to be honest i could live off of the stuff :) I don't eat rice with my meals, just chapatis and sag paneer.


Why guitars ? I mean, how did you picked up guitar as a child when there were tons of other instruments to play ? I'm expecting some interesting story here!
I started playing at 14, before my interest in guitars i wanted to play the saxophone because my dad always played all his 50s and 60s rock and roll 10" singles and i was majorly influenced by them. Then at 12 i was introduced to metal, Iron Maiden to be precise. The sound of the guitar got me really hooked and from then on i wanted to play. I did try bass once but lost interest straightaway.


What  were your major influences in those early days when you were just beginning into playing music ? Any particular inspiration from the early days ?
My dad use to play his 50's and 60's rock and roll 10" singles when i was a child, i totally loved it so i guess my main influence would be from them if I'm honest. then i got into metal and the likes of Iron Maiden and so fourth
took over as my influences.


The genre you play is quite off the genre that you describe as your idols to be, I mean old school thrash and extreme metal ? Quite a difference right ?
No not really, if you look at it and sit and really listen you will hear I put a ton of groove into the music i write and if you listen to my influences you can hear the same type of groove but that's as far as my influences go. When i write i just let the music and ideas flow out of me, I don't listen to anything to get inspiration because i don't want to sound like someone else.


You are one of the founding members of Cradle of Filth. Do you think the music has changed from what it was before ?
Back in the day people classed us as a black metal band but we have never tagged ourselves, we kinda let people make up there own mind about us. As we have got older tastes have changed and hence the music we write changes. Personally i prefer where the band is now, it sounds more mature and more like us, its more thought out and not so messy if that makes sense. There truth in the saying "Less is more".


Have your guitar playing techniques changed over time ?
Yes my playing has become more precise and solid. Back in the day it was way too scratchy which wasn't good. I use my guitar to write songs, not just riffs, I'm more of a producer than a guitar player to be honest.


I'm assuming, in all these years, you must have made some mistakes while playing live on stage. Can you share some of those, and also some tips to deal with them for young guitarists out there ?
Lol yes tons and tons but now i don't make any mistakes live or in the studio. All i can say is that when playing try to do your best every time and when writing write whats in your heart and what you think sounds good, not whats hot in the scene at the time. Oh and remember that music come from the heart and soul and its not a SPORT!! Unfortunately there are a lot of people out there who class playing guitar as a sport.


Does the line up changes affect your jam sessions and recordings? As you and Dani might be more coordinated than the rests.
No not at all because i pretty much write everything and we only get together when we are either going on tour or going in the studio.




What Cradle of Filth is upto right now ? Studios ? Jamming ? Recording ? Drinking beer ? Or blood !! Also, how's the set list coming up for Wacken Open Air concert ? Anything new for the fans to look forward to?
Well i have just come out of the studio from recording the new album and am practicing ready for the up and coming shows. Yes we have a set list worked out for Waken but I'm not going to tell you what it is lol :P



What kind of music are you listening to these days ?
I'm into anything and everything as long as it has a sick groove :) I brought the new Kreator album, its fucking great, i love it :)


Alright Paul, thanks for talking to Metal Spree and best of luck with everything. Any last words for our readers and your fans out there ?
I just want to say hopefully we will see you on the road and thank you so very much for all your support and understanding. Peace.


Thanks again Paul ! Have a great day !

No comments:

Post a Comment